You know I use Twitter a good deal, Gentle Reader, yet recent discussions made me realize I am following many rules of etiquette and expecting others to abide by the same in a very Mademoiselle Geraldine manner. Searching about the net proved that only the very basics seem to be discussed out there. So I thought I might involve Mademoiselle Geraldine's on the blog today, and have Lady Linette cobble a few etiquette suggestions together, (mainly so I can direct friendly twitters at this blog post when they accidentally commit a faux pas).
Mademoiselle Geraldine's Lessons on the Etiquette of Fine Twittering
(Featuring Lady Linette's commentary)
Basic Tweeting ~ or the Primary Flutter
- If you wouldn't want to read it, why should anyone else? LL ~ The same rules apply to Daily Fashion Periodicals and gossip over tea.
- No more than three hash tags. LL ~ Hash tags are like accessories: best used in moderation and important mainly for aesthetic or deadly reasons.
- Saying: "Bad day, going for a drink" is OK. Saying: "Don't worry about me, I'm fine" is passive aggressive. LL ~ The one inspires sympathy the other solicits self-aggrandizing drama.
142 Characters Makes for the Perfect Gathering
- Nature requires 132 (giving 10 spaces for others to play)
- Custom gives the following formula: 142 minus (number of characters in your handle plus 3 character spaces for retweets)
- Laziness takes all 142
- Wickedness uses an extension service to lengthen tweets
(Based on "Nature requires five, custom gives seven, laziness takes nine, and wickedness eleven." ~ C. Stevermer on the subject of sleep)
Proper Citation in All Things
- Attribute sources. LL ~ Even Evil Geniuses list who they steal from.
- RT means you are quoting directly and in total. LL ~ Rather like gossip.
- MT means you have cut someone else's tweet down or otherwise modified it. LL ~ More like rumor.
- "via" calls out the original source, so far as you know, and indicates that you're eliminating the chain of RTers. LL ~ Something on the order of hearsay.
- Trim the @s. If a conversation is going and not everyone is still participating, don't include handles of those not involved. LL ~ Only gossip about people *behind* their backs. (For another side of this subject Lady Linette suggests you read Seanan McGuire's excellent post: The terrible intimacy of @.)
- Don't solicit a RT of a public figure. For anything, no matter how good you think the cause. LL ~ For example: Poopsie's animal shelter, Auntie Petronella's surgery, your church's werewolf chopped liver social. Put yourself in their shoes, they don't know you, they don't have time to research the validity of the cause, and if they do it for you they have to do it for everyone.
Let's Talk Direct Messages (DM) ~ Or Sending Round Your Card
- Please don't set up an auto respond DM for when someone follows you. "Thanks for following me, please visit my Facebook page LINK!" LL ~ This is the digital equivalent of allowing your dirty dog to jump all over someone's beautiful white dress.
- DMs are for correspondences of a private nature. If you do not know the person you are DMing intimately already, consider a polite short link-less DM first, introducing yourself. LL ~ Like a calling card.
- Don't solicit over DM. LL ~ I should hope this goes without saying.
- A DM that contains nothing but a link will be perceived as spam. LL ~ Like ordering around someone else's servants. Shocking.
- A DM that doesn't contain specified information for your recipient will be perceived as spam. "I think you would love this LINK" is bad, while "Gail, look at this octopus LINK" is good. LL ~ Always personalize your calling card with a note.
- If your DM will take more than two tweets, you should ask for some other means to communicate instead (in other words, take the conversation to Facebook or email.) LL ~ Do not waste calling cards were a letter should suffice.
Spam ~ Or Coping With the Enthusiasm of Others
- Never follow a link in your DM unless it is tailored to you with specifics you recognize as legitimate. LL ~ Are you a servant to be ordered about?
- Never follow a link that is anything like the following:
- "Ha ha, what are you doing in this picture? LINK."
- "This person is saying nasty things about you LINK"
- "I lost 20 pounds just like this LINK"
- LL ~ I know this great hat shop, you just have to tip the driver, eat three scones, and dance a jig first.
- Never follow a link that then requires you to "re sign in" to Twitter, this is a fishing scam. LL ~ Multiple introductions? I think not.
GAIL'S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
|1950 Screen Shot|
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
|Island Arbor by Christopher Puzio|
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
Open Up! Writing the Opening Scene
PROJECT ROUND UP
Curtsies & Conspiracies ~ The Finishing School Book the Second. Out now!
Soulless Vol. 3 (AKA Blameless the manga) ~ Out now!
Waistcoats & Weaponry ~ The Finishing School Book the Third. Release date to come.
Manners & Mutiny ~ The Finishing School Book the Last. Working rough draft.
Prudence ~ The Parasol Protectorate Abroad Book the First: Delayed. Why? Rewrite begins in 2014.
Finishing School Tumblr is full of great content these days.
Quote of the Day:
“Our own observation is that there is nothing that so loosens the hinge of the tongue, soothes the temper, exhilarates the diaphragm, kindles sociality and makes the future promising.”~ Around the Tea Table, by T. De Witt Talmage (1875)