SteamCon Panel Notes: Researching the Victorian Era
- Medical Common Sense and Plain Home Talk - Edward B. Foote, M.D. 1871
- A Thousand Miles up the Nile ~ Amelia B. Edwards 1877
- Things A Lady Would Like To Know Concerning Domestic Management And Expenditure ~ Henry Southgate 1876 (also available online in the public domain)
- Baedeker's Travel Handbooks (also Galigani's) ~ you can try for these online as well be sure to try to get as close to the date you are writing as possible. They begin around 1827 but you are most likely to find them from the 1870s and later.
- Algrove Publishing out of Canada has a line of "Classic Reprints" includes: Book of Trades (1866); 970 Mechanical Appliances and Novelties of Construction (1904); 1800 Mechanical Movements and Devices (1899); Hotel and Saloon Supplies (1904)
- Darkness and Daylight, Or, Lights and Shadows of New York Life: A Woman's Pictorial Record of Gospel, Temperance, Mission, and Rescue Work ~ Mrs. Helen Campbell
- Queen Victoria's Little Wars ~ Byron Farwell
- Nuts and Bolts of the Past: A History of American Technology, 1776-1860 ~ David Freeman Hawke
- The Rape of the Nile: Tomb Robbers, Tourists, and Archaeologists in Egypt, Revised and Updated ~ Brian M. Fagan
- What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew: From Fox Hunting to Whist-The Facts of Daily Life in Nineteenth-Century England ~ Daniel Pool
- The Victorian House: Domestic Life from Childbirth to Deathbed
- English Women's Clothing in the Nineteenth Century ~ C. Willett Cunnington
- Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey ~ Allison Gernsheim
- American Victorian Costume in Early Photographs ~ Priscilla Harris Dalrymple (good, despite the oxymoron of the title)
RECOMMENDED BY OTHERS ON THE PANEL
- Oxford Dictionary on Historic Principals (I could only find the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on Historical Principles)
- The People's Chronology: A Year-By-Year Record of Human Events from Prehistory to the Present (Henry Holt Reference Book) - James Trager
- Bleed, Blister, And Purge: A History Of Medicine On The American Frontier ~ M.D. Steele
- Making of America
- Library of Congress
- Google Books
- Baldwin Library of Historical Children's Literature
- Google Patent Search
- New York Times archive (starts 1851)
- Old Newspapers
- Local Government Archives
- State Historical Societies
- Library Periodicals Collections
Your moment of parasol . . .
Gail's Daily Dose
Your Infusion of Cute:
A very Ivy Hat
Your Tisane of Smart:
The Nottingham Caves Project
Your Writerly Tinctures:
Rikki says, "I very much enjoyed reading Soulless and will definitely continue with that series. If you like the paranormal, romance (not too explicit), an element of humour and a lot of entertainment, get it!"
Even bigger SPOILER ALERT! Really, DON'T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven't read the other books first. Redeemed after Changeless
Heartless: Working draft 7.
Timeless: Just an outline, making sure I pick up cookies and threads.
Secret Project F: Axed down and back with the agent.
CAKE in Space: Trunked.
Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded is out.
The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance 2 is out.
Quote of the Day:
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination."
~ John Lennon