Upon the Third Birthday of Soulless
A very nervous debut author hummed and hawed over her offering. Would anyone actually like it? It was such an odd mash up of paranormal, steampunk, and comedy – who would enjoy such a ridiculous story? Were there readers out there irreverent enough to enjoy whimsy?
Well, Soulless turns three years old today. The silly little book that I thought would find a home in only a very few people's hearts seems to have miraculously wormed its way out into the world and touched many.
Soulless has now sold into 13 different territories for translation. There's been a graphic novel manga version (which itself is now due for translation into German) and an omnibus. It's been optioned for TV. It's spawned a dress up doll, various videos, fan art, several tea parties, audio books, cosplay, and an iPhone app. There is even a fan site!
Little did I know how much that one book would so utterly change my life.
In these last three years:
- After getting my second masters degree I put my PhD on indefinite hiatus.
- I gave up teaching archeology, discontinued my experimental work, and stopped my field visits.
- Basically, I switched careers.
- I relocated twice.
- I visited 7 foreign countries promoting the books, 5 of which I've never traveled to before.
- I made countless new friends and been blessed with a chance to visit old ones.
- I watched the steampunk movement grow and expand.
- I went to conventions and signings all over the world in various different capacities and learned valuable lessons from fellow authors.
- I ate hundreds of foods, dishes, and sweets I'd never tried before.
- I wrote 7 additional books: 4 followups to Soulless, 1 unpublished YA sci-fi, and 2 upcoming YA Finishing School books.
- And, best of all, I got to meet my readers: some here on the blog, some on twitter, some on Facebook, some in person ~ all of you so warm and fun and strong and smart.
There have been good reviews and glorious ones, nasty gripes and soundly presented critiques. I've tackled tough times in social media, and made more than my share of online mistakes. But in the end, it always came back to Soulless and the writing. Did the book make you smile? Then I did my job.
So, thank you so very much, Gentle Reader, and if you have the time or inclination please raise up a teacup in honor of Soulless, who's original secret code name, at the dawn of this blog, was "The Little Paranormal That Could." I guess Soulless could and did.
And if you put a spot of amaretto in your tea, well, I won't tell.
Thanks for three glorious years.
GAIL'S DAILY DOSE
Your Moment of Parasol . . .
Donna in the original cover image.
Your Infusion of Cute . . .
The Cover That Wasn't
Your Tisane of Smart . . .
Your Writerly Tinctures . . .
7 Ways to Get to Know Your Character I like to give mine quizzes out of glossy magazines.
PROJECT ROUND UP
Prudence ~ The Parasol Protectorate Abroad Book the First: Release date Fall 2013. Writing rough draft. Crew has arrived in Bombay . . .
Curtsies & Conspiracies ~ The Finishing School Book the Second: Title changed. Awaiting copy edits.
Etiquette & Espionage ~ Finishing School Book the First: Release date Feb 5, 2013. Working promo schemes to begin September.
Manga ~ Soulless Vol. 2: (AKA Changeless) Reviewing chapter by chapter, each drops on YenPlus by subscription. Print release tentatively Dec. 2012.
BIG FAT SPOILER ALERT on the Parasol Protectorate series! Really, DON'T READ THE BLURB ON AMAZON if you haven't read the other books first!
The Omnibus hardback editions are limited run through the SciFi Bookclub only.
The manga editions, Vol. available in print, Vol. 2 by subscription to YenPlus.
Most short stories available in ebook form world wide!
The first Finishing School book ~ Out Feb. 5, 2013
Quote of the Day:
"Books are immortal sons deifying their sires."
My darlings please recall, this is my blog and I am goddess of this little corner of the interwebs. You are always welcome to comment, as I am to delete said comments. As my dear mum often murmurers: if you haven't anything nice to say then please don't stay anything at all. Also: Thou shalt not commit Logical Fallacies.